Sunday 24 October 2010

A weekend of culture

I went home this weekend, mainly for the fact that my mum had tickets to go and see the musical chess. I laughed and shunned the people who laughed at me for going to see a musical about chess, i told them to stop being silly, due to the fact that there would be some deep metaphorical meaning for calling it chess, not a literal one. How wrong can a girl be... I mean there were some political undertones about the rifts between Russia and Ameria (this musical having been written in the late '70s) but it was primarily about chess and two players going against each other. Even most of the cast were dressed as chess players. As spectacular as the cast looked, and as beautiful as some of the voices were, i wasn't really feeling it.
   Before venturing home today however, me and my mother went to see the film "Easy A". Having meant to have seen this film in Stoke last week (but couldn't because Stoke evidently didn't want to show a film about a pretend school slut) I made plans to see it in Sheffield - a place where all good films are shown... I had heard good reviews about Easy A, claiming it was a new Mean Girls and a clever and entertaining teen high school flick, so i was looking forward to it with much anticipation.
It was, I have to say, highly entertaining. I think there's something about high school films that is extremely appealing (as shown in films such as ten things i hate about you, never been kissed and mean girls) but also something which can be lost a little bit on screen (john tucker must die, high school musical...), However, wherever the film lacked some oomph (which wasn't that often) was made up by the protagonist played by Emma Stone. She is brilliant. Extremely dry, fun and believable, she made the film different and extremably likeable. Throw in a fake sex scene and a hot high school crush, and you have yourself a brilliant movie.
Until the next fil, or exciting, disapointing or frustrating thing in my life,
Au revoir

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I always really wanted to see chess. maybe not now...

    ReplyDelete