Sunday 2 January 2011

marriage, festivities and swedish horror films...

Wow. This has been a crazy few weeks.
So firstly i went and got engaged (not on my own, just to clarify) which is extremely exciting if not also terrifying and making me excruciatingly panicky. I mean don't get me wrong, i totally want to get married, and not just married, married to Andy who i couldn't spend my life without (bit of sentimentality for you there), but I in no way want to plan a wedding for 9 months time (yes we're getting married in september) whilst also doing a crazy stupid amount of work - or not doing, as the case is at the moment.
 Sigh.
I know what you're saying, don't get married in september then. what i would rather say is, lets not do the work then. That's how much i want to get married this year and start a new life, in a new place with the person that i love. And no, i'm not stupid, i know it is in no way easy, and some of you do think i have a screw loose for getting married young, or fast or any of the other reasons that people are throwing at me, but so what. If i know nothing else, i know that God willing, i can be a good wife and a good mother, and that's what i want to do.

So apart from that, and the normality that was christmas day, my parents and brother disapeared off to Florida, leaving me, my sister, my dog and my dvd player alone. So i did what any person would do, and bought seven new dvds. Yay. The first film that i watched was "Let the right one in" a swedish horror film about a vampire "girl" that befriends the loner boy next door. Now, I've been wanting to watch this for ages, but to be honest was a little bit scared to watch it on my own. So, armed with my sister, her boyfriend and my cushion we set out to watch the movie. I was pleasantly suprised. It wasn't as horrible as i thought it was going to be (although i'm not denying squeamish and gory parts). Moreover, there was a sweet poignancy in the relationship between Oscar and Eli (boy and vampire) that was intriguing and compelling and transcended anything else the movie wanted to throw at you. Granted, some of the conversation was clumsy between the two main characters, yet at the same time, this almost seemed fitting, and could probably be allowed.

   The next film i watched was "The disapearance of Alice Creed". This is a british gritty thriller about a girl who is kidnapped in order to get 2 million pounds off her rich father. Now, this film got really high critical acclaim. Not alot happens, yet it is still on the edge of your seat stuff, compelling and with quite alot of twists and turns that leave you quite suprised. However, this being said, it does feel a little over done at times. Some of the things that happened left me a bit like, err really? And I feel like this made it a little unrealistic and took away from the intensity of it. Overall, however, I did find it enjoyable, and i wasn't at any point bored.

   I could go on for longer, but i fear i've bored you enough. Watch this space for news on the kings speech, black swan and tangled amongst many more i'm sure. Along with a healthy rambling about wedding venue issues and how rubbish my work is going.
Happy New Year. May you have a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see Black Swan BAD. And I just KNOW you are gna be the best wife and mother fran, I wish you were my wife and mother!!!

    Like I said with regards the wedding organisation, and general life organisation for that matter, you know where I am :) love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the stress of wedding planning!!! I have 7 months or so to go and its starting to get scary!! I really enjoyed reading your blog!! Also, the Kings Speech looks a very good film and the black swan so I shall keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me smile! I am praying for you as you plan the wedding - and I think, I know you will be a great wife and mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete